Moulding vs. Trim: What is the Difference?
If you’re in the middle of a home renovation project or are about to begin a new one, it’s important to know the difference between moulding and trim. Moulding and trim are both popular for adding character and style to a room. While often used interchangeably, there are actually a few characteristics that distinguish moulding vs. trim.
At TurnTech, we’re a custom woodshop in PA dedicated to crafting unique porch posts, handrails, table legs and more for customers across the country. We’ve been doing this for nearly 20 years and have since crafted hundreds of pieces of both moulding and trim.
Today we’re discussing the true differences in moulding vs. trim, along with some of the most popular styles of each. Keep reading to learn more about moulding vs. trim or shop all wood moulding for sale now!
What is the Difference Between Molding and Trim?
When wondering, “What is the difference between moulding and trim?”, know that trim is generally used around openings such as windows and doors, or at the corners between walls. Whereas moulding is used more for decorative use.
Trim: Largely applied as a functional element around windows, doors, or corners. Can be used to cover gaps or imperfections.
Moulding: Decorative wood used as an aesthetic addition to enhance a space. While moulding is a type of trim, it is typically elaborate in detail and applied around the ceiling or baseboards of a home.
If you are still curious as to what the difference is between moulding and trim, please reach out to our team for assistance!
Most Popular Types of Moulding
At TurnTech, we create more than 90+ types of gorgeous standard wood moldings. While each style offers a unique design, here are the top 3 types of moulding we’ve seen homeowners love:
- Rope Moulding: If you’re in the renovation process, rope moulding is most likely a term you’re familiar with – it’s no wonder this is the type of molding we make most often! Despite its timeless appearance, it’s also one of the most affordable moulding options, starting at just $9 per 8’ piece. Better yet, when you work with TurnTech, we’ll have it made and ready to ship in as little as 1-2 business days. See your rope moulding options here!
- Egg & Dart Moulding: A close second, Egg and Dart is a decorative type of molding that compliments nearly every style. From farmhouse to eclectic, this design is used in a multitude of unique projects. At TurnTech, this type of moulding is made to order and ships within 5-7 business days. Shop Egg and Dart Moulding here.
- Decorative Dentil Moulding: Another popular moulding style is the simple yet elegant Dentil Moulding design. Crown moulding is one of the top applications for this decorative style. As a custom woodshop, we’re proud to make and ship your unique order for this type of moulding in 5-7 business days. Shop all decorative rope moulding here.
If you’re updating a historic home and want to match an existing architectural feature, our custom woodshop is one of the best and only ways to do it! All our types of moulding are made from 100% authentic wood and made right here in Lancaster County, PA. Get a free instant custom moulding quote online!
Most Popular Types of Trim
With many beautiful types of trim available, some tend to be more popular than others. Here are the two most requested styles from our customers across the US:
- Crown Moulding: Because of its versatility and simple design, crown moulding is by far the most popular type of moulding we make! Though available in a multitude of wood species, sizes, thicknesses, and lengths, we typically have crown moulding made to order and shipped within 5-7 business days. Shop premium wood crown moulding for sale here!
- Base Trim: Baseboards are an easy and low-cost way to add impactful style and sophistication to a room or home. Whether you’re replacing or adding base trim to your home, get affordable options that fit your needs from TurnTech in as little as 5 business days. See all base moulding options here.
Need some creative ideas? Check out our extensive project gallery to see moulding and trim examples that will leave you feeling inspired!
Trust TurnTech for All Your Moulding and Trim Needs!
Now that you understand the differences between moulding vs. trim and have gotten ideas for designs of each, it’s time to find the perfect style for your renovation! As a trusted producer of custom wood turnings, columns, moulding, and more for nearly 20 years, we’re confident we can create something perfect for your project. Shop our best moulding and trim options online or call 717-954-0055 now to discuss a custom inquiry!